Thursday, October 26, 2006

Biathlon Numero Dos

I'm preparing for the second of my travel/conference biathlons this semester, but I'm afraid I'm losing my stamina. The pace of meetings, presentations, field trips is dizzying but engaging, invigorating yet exhausting. Being so scattered, literally and figuratively, I'm beginning to lose sight of my desk, which is drowning in a sea of paper, piles of miscellenousness that threaten to overflow the physical limitations of its surface area. No, I stand corrected: there are already two small stacks of paper on the floor beginning a new cycle of boundless procreation.

Tomorrow will be consumed by an all-day meeting, which I will be attending on behalf of someone else and myself, so I'm professionally tasked with an intentional split-personality. Then I leave Sunday morning for a conference and likely won't return until Wednesday. Then I'll be back on campus to facilitate a conversation about "Faith and Ecology" and will depart again Friday afternoon for the "Engaging Our World" conference, which lasts until Sunday afternoon.

Given the fact that I've (along with almost everyone I know) had a mostly shitty week,* I will force myself to dwell on some of the more positive aspects of my impending biathlon... (1) Free trip to Hilton Head ('nuff said); (2) free lunch next Thursday, (3) free place to stay in L'ville with one of my favoritest people, as well as (4) an opportunity to see one of my best buds from high school that I recently reconnected with at my 15-year reunion.

Okay, I can even acknowledge a few bright spots in the current reality I'm experiencing... (1) Serendipitous and successful (so far) opportunity to play cupid and facilitate a budding friendship with some love potential, (2) an actual sit-down conversation with Mr. Jubilee that was friendly as well as professional--a good sign that an amicable (if not full reconstitution of our previous) relationship is possible, and (3) multiple expressions of appreciation for the kind and amount of work that I do.

* Footnote about the shitty week: Lest anyone accuse me of being an optimist... (1) Monday absolutely and totally sucked, (2) Tuesday was almost back-to-back meetings, one of which was good practice for maintaining professional composure in a very public place with someone I wanted to mop the floor with at the time, and (3) could it be any more fuckin' gloomy or cold in October, which is usually my favorite month of the year?!

It is also a little troubling that most of my life, thoughts, commentary revolves around work. I really do try to nurture myself in other ways, but my current momentum does not lend itself to consistent success in this area. I've totally been slacking on my "bodysculpting" class, once a twice-a-week activity and now a not-for-weeks activity; while I've managed to take my camera with me on several of my recent jaunts, I haven't actually done anything with it (except for post those awesome pool shots for B. Love, of which he made immediate and productive use); and my social life, well, there's nothing much to say there except that the Fisherking is one patient and steadfast brother/hermit-in-arms to be my best buddy right now and put up with the likes of me.

[Backposted from MySpace 10/26/06]

 

No comments: